top of page

Unfamiliar territory finds Knight Hawks three games under .500

For the first time in franchise history, the Vegas Knight Hawks are three games under .500.

This comes after a 42-21 loss to the Frisco Fighters Saturday, May 28 from the Comerica Center in Frisco, Texas.

While Frisco improved to 8-2, still leading the Eastern Conference, Vegas finds itself searching for answers after falling to 4-7.

Its 4-7 record has the team firmly placed in the fifth spot of the Western Conference.

The top eight teams make the postseason in the IFL.

Prior to the loss, the Knight Hawks were 2-2 in its last four games with both wins coming on the road.

Now, Vegas is 3-3 away from the Dollar Loan Center in the team’s inaugural season.

It will now return home for a matchup against the San Diego Strike Force Saturday, June 11.

Kickoff is scheduled for 4 p.m.

The Knight Hawks beat the Strike Force by 45 points earlier this month.

After averaging 33 points per game heading into this one, Vegas was held under its season scoring average in what would turn out to be a lopsided loss.

It wasn’t a road game for everyone as Knight Hawks quarterback Jerod Evans made his return home to Dallas.

However, he was greeted with the rough and rugged defense of the Fighters, forcing him to be pulled from the game in the second half.

It started on the first drive of the game for Vegas as Evans had a snap fumbled at the six-yard line.

He nearly had another first quarter turnover, this time an interception but it was overturned after a successful challenge from head coach Mike Davis.

A challenge would work in the favor of the home team in the second quarter, also off a turnover.

Vegas suffered its second fumbled snap of the first half only to have Frisco fumble the ball on the return.

The Knight Hawks bounced on the ball as the play was finally whistled dead. However, a Fighter challenge gave Frisco the ball back.

It wasn’t all bad for the Vegas offense as Evans threw a touchdown strike to wide receiver Jordan McCray, who finished with 27 yards on that lone touchdown grab.

Evans was also under center when running back Jordan Cronkrite scored his second touchdown of the year to put the Knight Hawks on the board.

He left the game after completing six of his 19 pass attempts for 88 yards and a touchdown.

After being stood up at the goal line on back-to-back plays, Evans was relieved of his duties in the third quarter in favor of backup Cameron Dukes.

It was off-the-bench and into the fire for Dukes who was sacked and intercepted on his third and fourth plays on the field.

That was one of his two interceptions in the second half.

Dukes did throw a touchdown pass to wide receiver Kasey Allison, who tallied 13 yards on three catches.

Wide receiver Dez Epps led the way in the receiving core with six catches for 66 yards.

Even with the spotty offensive success, Vegas had the game tied at 14 apiece at one point. However, the team would be outscored 28-7 in the final 30-plus minutes of the game.

The 14-all tie came after the home team raced out to a 14-0 lead at the end of the first quarter.

A third rushing touchdown from Frisco quarter TJ Edwards gave the home team a 21-14 lead with just two seconds left in the first half.

On the first drive of the third quarter, Edwards threw his first touchdown pass en route to a five touchdown night.

With a chance to cut into the lead, Epps had a touchdown catch wrestled away from him in the end zone.

Even with Vegas got the ball to bounce in its direction, it didn’t result in points.

Defensive back Kalen Hicks ripped the ball away from a Frisco offensive player, safely securing the forced fumble and fumble recovery all in one motion.

That ensuing drive was ended by Dukes’ first interception of the night.

In the fourth quarter, penalties allowed Frisco to pour it on as Vegas defensive back Devin Washington was flagged for holding twice on the same drive.

There were 24 total penalties called in the game, accounting for more than 150 yards.


bottom of page